Have you ever seen the 2007 film, Waitress written and directed by the late, great Adrienne Shelly?
If you haven’t seen it, you really should. It’s a beautiful film starring Kerri Russel as Jenna, a gifted pie creator trapped in a loveless/abusive marriage. Her only outlet is her waitress job at Joe’s Pie Café. (Joe is played by the amazing Andy Griffith, in one of his best roles since The Andy Griffith Show.) Jenna is squirreling money away to leave her depressive home life, when she finds out she’s pregnant. During her first trip to her Doctor, she brings along one of her specialty pies, Marshmallow Mermaid Pie and this is where the story really begins…
Please, do me a favor and watch it before you die. It’s such a beautiful and touching film.
Anyway, there are a lot of great recipes in Waitress and I really want to try each one of them. I’ve decided to start with one of the more visually stimulating ones.
The only problem with Waitress is that there’s no recipe to follow to make a pie. Luckily, I found what I needed to find from Dime Store Chic:
I skipped the cherries and sprinkles in order to make it look more to the movie version of the pie.
Here are the ingredients I found in the commissary:
1 already made graham cracker pie crust (I’m being lazy)
1/2 Cup of sweetened, flaked coconut
4 Tablespoons of butter, room temperature
1 Cup of rainbow marshmallows (plus more for topping)
1/2 Cup whole milk
1 1/2 Cups heavy cream
2 Tablespoons of sweetened chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Stir coconut and butter together in a bowl.
- Press combination to bottom of graham cracker pie.
- Bake 5-10 minutes and cool on wire rack.
- Heat marshmallows and milk in 3-qt. saucepan over low heat until smooth, stirring constantly.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Cool completely (30 minutes.)
- In large bowl beat cream until stiff peaks form (I did this by hand, a mixer would be faster.)
- Fold marshmallow mixture into whipped cream with grated chocolate.
- Spoon filling into cooled crust and refrigerate pie for at least 3 hours.
- Once chilled, top with cool whip. (Optional)
- Top with mini rainbow marshmallows.
- thank you for reading
please let me know if you try this!